Broadmoor

Broadmoor is an architecturally, economically and racially diverse neighborhood

in the heart of New Orleans largely defined by the impressive 20th-century

historic homes that line Napoleon Avenue and Fontainebleau Drive. But there is

a variety of architecture throughout the neighborhood, from wooden shotguns

and Arts and Crafts-style bungalows to grand Mediterranean Revival and

Spanish Colonial-style estates — even the Rosa Keller Library branch, with a

historic brick façade and Spanish tile roof, has an ultra-modern addition,

showcasing the different styles one can see amongst Broadmoor’s nearly 800

historic structures. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

 

Development in the area began in the 1880s, when the land was still marshy pasture. After big rains it literally became a huge lake — a favorite fishing spot for Uptowners. Drainage canal projects began in 1885, including the construction of Pumping Station #1 at S. Broad and Washington Avenue (the station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places). The neighborhood’s building boom really took place in the 1920s, and by 1930 Broadmoor had its own newspaper, The Broadmoor News. The Broadmoor Civic Improvement Association also formed around that time, one of the first neighborhood associations in the city. The opening of the Chevra Thilim Synagogue on S. Claiborne and Jena streets in 1948 attracted a large Jewish population to the area. It has since closed, but Broadmoor as a whole still has a healthy mix of residents from all walks of life with diverse religious backgrounds. 

 

                                                                         The neighborhood is especially attractive to families, as many homes have yards and                                                                           off-street parking. Children or not, all of Broadmoor’s residents are passionate,                                                                                   however. From its beginning in the 1930s, the Broadmoor Improvement Association                                                                           (as it’s now called) has always had a reputation as being one of the most unified                                                                                 neighborhood associations in the city. This area was devastated by the levee failure                                                                           that followed Hurricane Katrina and many officials were in favor of abandoning it                                                                                 altogether to focus rebuilding efforts in other neighborhoods instead. Broadmoor                                                                                 residents rose up, however, and organized to convince city officials that the impact                                                                             of disinvesting such a vital New Orleans neighborhood would be disastrous. It                                                                                     worked, and today the neighborhood is once again thriving, with an active                                                                                           community center, new restaurants, a well-traversed fitness and arts trail along                                                                                Napoleon Avenue.

Many thanks to the Preservation Resource Center for providing this wonderful information! (www.prcno.org)

broadmoor.jpg
3420 side ig.jpg